This course is offered to the BSc. Education (Chemistry and Mathematics) and BSc. Education (Chemistry and Biology) first year students
Credits rating: 2 Credits
Time distribution: Lectures: 30 hours, Tutorials: 15 hours, Practical: 45 hours
Course Instructor: Dr. Lema, E.
- Main features of carbon compounds
- Structure and physical properties of carbon compounds
- Reaction involving covalent bonds
- Detailed study of the following classes of organic compounds: Alkanes, alkenes alkynes, benzene, organic halides, alcohols, phenols, ethers, aldehydes, ketones, amines, carboxylic acids and their functional derivatives.
- Loudon, M. (1995). Organic Chemistry (3rd). California: The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company, Inc.
- Morrison, R.T. and Boyd, R. N. (1987). Organic Chemistry. (5th). New Delhi: Allyn and Bacon Inc.
- Mwakalesi, A. (2010). Fundamentals of organic chemistry practical manual. Department of Physical Sciences, Sokoine University of Agriculture.
- Carey, F.A. (2000). Organic chemistry (4th). Toronto: McGraw-Hill Companies.
- Hoffman, R.V. (2004). Organic chemistry: An intermediate text (2nd). USA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- MucMurry, J. (2000). Organic Chemistry (5rd). USA: Brooks/Cole Publishing Company,
- Pedersen, S.F. and Myers, A.M. (2011). Understanding the principles of organic chemistry. USA: Brooks/Cole, Cengage Learning.